Monday, July 20, 2009

Asheville Day 3

This is just a sample of the day's beautiful views. After a foggy yesterday, this was a welcome sight.
I think today was my favorite scenic wise. Beautiful back country roads, very little traffic, so much character (homes/barns/trailers) - not just the ones in this picture! I think this picture details the general humor that this trip consisted of - lots of fun/jokes/one liners. We started at Mars Hill riding the Devil's Fork challenge route a day early. The roads were well marked with arrows and I have a very descriptive route on paper (well I did until Egg stuck it in his back pocket by mistake!)


The first climb was Bone Camp Road with climbs and fast winding descents. Something told me that this was what was on tap for today. Long hard climbs with a reward of fast descents.


Next up was Grapevine Road. Beautiful countryside views. I starting winding around a mountain and the road didn't seem to be in that good of shape. I kept climbing in the car. I looked out to the right and there was no guard rail (not unusual for country roads, but this was winding road was going fairly high). I finally decided that I must have missed a turn somewhere and was able to get turned around and headed back down the mountain. Nope, here came Goose and Egg - I yelled at Egg that he was NUTZ!


Soon to follow was Mthd (after his potty break), Big Tim and Maji. After everyone was accounted for I head on down the road for a refueling spot. Found a new church on top of a hill with a view out over the valley.


Across the road was the community dawg that Goose made friends with. Her tag said Susie, but who knows. She was friendly and just wanted her belly scratched.


Of course we had to pictures at the the historic Chapel Hill Church! Wish we would have Maji's star wars toy for this picture. This was just a sample of the character that the mountains had to offer.


They headed back out for a grinding 2-3 miles of 16% climb. Unfortunately, this road didn't have the "community friendly dawg" like Susie. This dog was not nice, he chased Egg, Goose, Mtd and Big Tim. I was a little further up the road but could hear him. After the guys passed me, I headed back down a little to warn Maji. The damn dog sat down in the middle of the road and wasn't letting me by. About that time here came Maji, no water in his bottle to squirt him so I launched an empty bottle at him hoping he would chase it and not Maji. I guess it worked, he didn't get Todd. It was until that evening did I know that the dog got Goose's rear wheel.



Egg was FINALLY getting to ride for himself, for the first time today. He spent most of the ride going back between everyone making sure they we OK and coaching them through their struggles. This is what we can FUNDICATION BABY! Egg reached the state line first


Followed by Goose


Mthd making everything look easy



Big Tim with the usual big smile




And, our partial streaker, Maji. Todd was starting to overheat. We did what we could with ice in his bottle and in a bag to cool him down.



The Appalachian trail passes right by the top and we saw hikers coming and going. They used this stop to refuel and then headed on their way The descent was and I didn't even try to stay with them in the car - toooo fast for me! This took them back up to Sam's Gap and into N.C. again. Egg stay with Goose while Mthd stayed with Big Tim. halfway up. We knew Maji was suffering from the heat. While refueling Mthd and Egg posed for this. They went on and I waited on Maji to make sure he was OK. Got him refueled and he was on his way.




Maji rode most of the route, but we had planned for me to pick him up before that last climb. Egg called to see where we were - we were about 10 minutes behind them.
That day was a hard day of long, long climbs - fast descents. I admire Maji for his determination and conquering the evils. Egg coached Goose over some long hard climbs, Mthd road as smooth as usual and I always enjoy the big smiles you get from Big Tim. Awesome ride guys. I had so much fun that day.


1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

My fav day of the trip by far.


Thanks for all your help Noose. It was a great feeling seeing Goose climb that well.

The photo's captured so many great memories&" Operation Fundication " continues to pay dividends. Imagine that? :)