Monday, July 13, 2009

First Day In Asheville

Goose and I left a tad later than expected on the 8th. We needed to drop his truck off in Waynesville which added a little time to the trip. The actual drive was wonderful. We made better time than expected and the weather was beautiful. We got in about an hour after The Mthd wagon. They had already checked with the desk and requested rooms on the bottom floor - THANK YOU!

I had been watching the weather report for a few days and it didn't say anything about rain - guess I forgot about my childhood and it always rains the mountains.

We unloaded and headed out for a ride. Egg's plan was an easy ride on the parkway. Goose thought we were riding from Days Inn - Egg laughed and said I would never speak to him again - and he was right. We got in the cars and drove to the appointed spot. Jeff had planned to ride with me but Todd "Maji" also offered so Jeff could have a good ride. I was set to ride alone, but Egg wanted me to ride with someone through the Tunnel (which was scary for me since I had never done that). It was extremely humid and I didn't use my inhaler first (1st mistake). After about 4 miles I sent Maji on and I was set to ride alone. Guess Mother Nature wanted to play a cruel trick on me and decided to let the clouds open up. I wasn't prepared and it wasn't too back climbing. I reached as far as I could up and decided to turn around (didn't get as far as I wanted, but was OK with it - will be better prepared the next time). I headed back down remembering all the advice I got - pump your breaks don't just hold them on. I still was going way to fast for me. I decided to stop and wait on the guys to come back down the mountain and heed Egg's advice and follow them over the rough road. The rain started to get heavier and I was starting to get really cold. So I decided to get to the tunnel and hide inside and wait on them (2nd mistake). A younger guy rode past me and started to get in front of me when he hit a pot hole and went down sideways right in front of me. I had no where to go but down - to my luck I went down right on top of him and we both slid down the road - he was on his back and I was face down on him. When we stopped I finally got my left shoe out of my pedal and was able to get up. The back of his jersey was torn and looked like some good road rash - he asked if I was OK - my main concern was did I tear my jersey? Nope just my left knee and it wasn't that bad. As a couple of minutes discussion he insisted in riding with me back to the car - he was a local and lived close and told me not to worry about him.

Got back to the car, got my knee cleaned up before they guys got back. Jeff felt so guilty, I know the others felt bad, Egg had made a comment that is why he wanted me to follow him - he knows that road - and I should have listened. I told them not to feel back, I didn't. Jeff knows if I really wanted him to feel bad - I know how to do it :P

It wasn't until the Thur did I realize that my handle bar got me in the ribs and my left shoulder and thigh were bruised and sore - probably from trying to break my fall.

Will I try it again next time - HELL YES! BUT, this time I will listen to the ride leader (lol) and follow directions a little closer and be ready for the weather.

The guys had a good ride, I know it helped loosen up Goose's legs from the drive there.

After showers we all went out for a delicious din-din. This where other's were able to see first hard "the shovel" at work.

Early to bed so Goose would be ready to get some serious riding in.

No comments: