Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday's Legbreaker

You never know who is showing up for a long ride, but normally you know Egg, Big Tim and Goose will be there, depending on family obligations - can usually count on Mthd if it includes hills. Anybody else is always a good surprise and bonus.

We met Egg at Cracker Barrel Sunday morning for some excellent vittles. We talked about who might show up, like I said the 3 were definite. He also knew that Mthd was most likely in, T-Bolt had mentioned he wanted to ride but his daughter was in a ballet and needed to be there about 2 pm. The rides was designed such that at any given point you probably was no further than 10 miles from Twin Towers. Anybody could pull out at any time and head back to their car.

We pulled into Twin Towers to look up and see Smoothy pulling in. That was a nice surprise! Next was Mthd. I visited the "facilities" and came out to see another car that looked like Diesel! Wow - group is growing and the mph was just amped up with Diesel in for the ride. Egg got at call from T-Bolt he was on his way. The Big Tim Green Team Van was next (with an explanation he almost overslept). T-Bolt arrived fully dressed - cycling gloves and all!

Had to take the typical start of the race picture. I know some dislike this, but this might be the last time I catch everyone with smiles on their face at the same time. Egg can name every road by memory that they rode (so check out his blog for the blow-by-blow on that). But, you will see a theme for today's pictures - Goose gritting his way through the ride. I have learned not to take pictures as they get close to me - everyone puts on a smile just this isn't hard - it is all fun. So I opt to get photos when you are further away. Hmm, am I switching from my spandex fetish to see them with pain on their faces? Naw, but I think this shows the difficulty of the rides that Egg can create.
Like I said, I don't know the name of the roads, but I know everyone was riding as hard as their body would let them (well OK a couple of them could have ridden harder, but they took their extra energy to keep everyone together)

Everyone shared the love and took their turn out front. But like I said, it somebody fell off, there were a couple that would turn around and bring them back to the group.


The first climb of Devil's Backbone I was behind the guys. At the top we stopped for refueling of watch, potty breaks and cookies. Egg had made a comment to me that Jeff had climbed it in his big ring. What went through my mind, I hope he doesn't blow up!

Here is the Geritol group -all over the age of 50 - Yes T-Bolt, I said publicly you are over 50. At least I didn't say you were 58 (Oh wait that is what Goose will be July 1)


Once again, at the top of a climb - which Goose did really well (climbing) on Sunday.

I think this is Devil's Backbone and no he didn't make it the second time in his big ring.

Done and I think he was happy to be done. After the ride, quick chit chat - everyone had to head out - T-Bolt made it in time to see his daughter's solo, Big Tim was heading to the lake for some more fun.
Egg, Goose and I head to Skyline. Excellent food, fun company and we always solve the problems of the world.
Fun day - I did learn one lesson today - don't talk to strangers!
Thanks guys for another day to add to our memory books.

1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Thanks again Noose. Goose was rollin' Time will tell if we'll kiss his feet come Mayhem. hahaha

We appreciate the Perky mobile1