Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Legbreaker

Sunday was Egg's 4th Annual Legbreaker with a new course. He tried to get Goose to look at the elevation chart, but Goose refused. He really didn't want to know what was in store for him. Sunday morning came early for us. After an evening of parking cars at St Chris festival, a later than normal bedtime, when the alarm went off my first thought was it can't be time. Yep it was :) When we pulled into Twin Towers lot Egg and Rhino were already there with the usual big smiles. Next was Mthd (who I thought was unusually quiet!) and next Big Tim. We didn't get the pleasure of T-Bolt, it was his birthday and family had plans for his special day. Vinnie Bear (AJ calls him that)/Viper opted out also (I think he was getting extra snookie snuggle time with T). After pee breaks they gang headed out.
Egg had an excellent route map for me, so with that and my Garmin I was set (maybe). Turned the tunes up in the car and settled in for a fun few hours. I was impressed with the speed they were able to maintain - this was going to be a fast day. I can't go into the specifics that the guys can - all roads look the same to me (well except for the cool covered bridge). I just knew they were all riding well. It was a day that nobody (no not you Mthd) was going to be left behind. Somebody always stayed back to help bridge that rider back up to the group.

On one climb Rhino was ahead of the group and a turn was coming up - I saw Egg drop his chain and climb past Rhino to make sure everyone made the correct turn. He just forgot to go back and get his chain - he rode the rest of the day without his chain!

After a stop and refuel point they were off again. This year Egg had them hitting Devils Backbone at the 60 mile mark. This is a spot Goose had problems last year and he said earlier he would nail it this year - and he did!

Goose stayed focused and got the job done. Back at Twin Towers it was Goose's turn not to be too talkative. It was definitely a LMD Day for him. I checked, and yep it was missing :) We decided it was time to get some real food, unfortunately Rhino couldn't go with us. He did manage to amuse us before he headed home,
While eating, of course we relived the ride mile-by-mile (lol) - wouldn't have it any other way. All in all it was an excellent day for riding - got a few minutes of sprinkles, just enough to help cool the hot legs down.
This next week will be a busy week - the race that Goose looks forward to the most each year - West Milton Triathlon. This week, his personal training will be geared toward his race.
From Noose - thanks guys for another fun Sunday. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would enjoy following a bunch of guys around in my care for most of the day - I would have answered - You're Crazy. Some say you are nuts for riding that far, me? - I say thanks for including me.

1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Great ride, great company and what a year. I never get tired of saying that. :)

Thanks Noose. We all appreciate the perky car. Goose rode great and made a big jump from last year. This years route was much tougher too which means Jeff's on another level. YEAH!!

Asheville, here we come! :)