Monday, February 1, 2010

Funday

Sunday was a day of fun - ok you people that are saying - ARE YOU KIDDING ME - Nope - it was fun. The fun started when everyone got to the house. TKO, Guru and Red Dog have been to the house a couple of times, Big Tim came for the TT - of course Egg comes up 3 times a week to keep Goose and I in line (THANK YOU for sticking with us!) and Rhino - never has made a ride here. Was happy to see him come down for some fun. I was a little worried how were going to fit everyone in - Egg promised it would work, and it did. Thank heavens we all get along, cause it was close quarters - all within elbow distance.

Everybody was set up and ready to roll (well so to speak, except Guru - he brought his rollers and trainer). I was really concerned about completing the three hours - the cold has left me not being able to breathe. We started and things seemed to be going really well. Egg and I were chatting as normal - funny comment came from Rhino about not riding hard enough. Egg assured him the chatting would settle down soon, and it did.

Egg wanted pictures along the way, I tried to snap a couple while riding, I am still working on that talent. We had the normal jump off and grab water on a 2 minute easy spin but for the most part everyone was down to business. Egg would look over and ask everyone how they were doing, he got anything from a grunt, thumbs up or Big Tim's "good".

I was sailing along with everybody's encouragement until "something" got in my way. I looked down and my white sheer curtain in stuck in my chain - Chuck is yelling to put on my brakes - my head was so foggy from my cold, my thought was why? I'm on my trainer - you don't use your brakes! After using my brakes, getting the curtain out, I spun on. Everyone was on an excellent ride, Goose had let out nary a Goose call (well at this time), Red Dog had his head down and was getting through it, Mr Don't Take Pictures Cause They All Look The Same Rhino actually had a few different facial expressions, TKO had reminded us of his "spells" (which went through my mind, Oh Lord not today, you have no where to fall), Big Tim had his best poker face on, Guru was done on his rollers and switched to trainer, Egg - just as upbeat, chatty and encouraging as ever.

I had turned on the oven during on the breaks and "smelled" something - forgot to get the pan out of the oven - jumped off - grabbed it out and then got back on my bike (all without a penalty). My bike wasn't spinning right - gears didn't seem to shift. Rode it out until the next break, Egg got off to check the tension - it was fine - I had a flat tire. I felt bad, they were trying to use an extra wheel, it wasn't going on right. It was taking some time and I could see everyone was getting a little concerned over the amount of time. I was ready to throw in the towel and tell them to finish the last hour without me - but Guru got off his bike and was able to get the wheel to work. I know my legs felt like lead - I can't imagine what the other's felt like - Sorry guys!

We had lots of laughs the last 30 minutes with comments being made by people (one in name - Goose - which I hope he doesn't regret this summer). The last 3 minute set Egg changed up - big chain/12 last 90 seconds standing. My thought was are you f%cking nutz? Everyone else was game and I sure as hell wasn't going to be the only one that didn't. I was able to stand each time, although one time I did stop pedaling, deciding if I was going to sit down - Egg looks over and talked me through it (which I am thankful for).

I think everyone was happy the 3 hours were over. It went by very quickly (well for me it did).
TKO had to leave but everyone else was able to stick around to awhile. It was fun to see the guys sitting around the table eating and talking - these are the times that I wouldn't trade for anything. It makes the training/suffering/sweating all worth it.

I am looking forward to warmer weather and getting out on the road, but I will miss days like Sunday. I have people to ride with/motivate me/encourage me not to quit. Hopefully I have learned many new lessons this past winter to carry me through the outdoor riding.

I looked at the pictures last night - different people, body types, goals for the year - all having fun together. It doesn't get much better than that.

3 comments:

vclune said...

Thanks for hosting and making the good food. Great way to start off the new year.

Noose and Goose said...

You are welcome - it was fun having you down.

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Great job Goose, Noose (for riding and vittles), Rhino, and all the others whacko's! haha

Awesome!