Thursday, July 3, 2008

Goose Stayed on the Road


Ready to Ramble
Egg coaching Jeff on Rudy


The dreaded 5th Roller

Jeff had planned on riding the Ramble (well he had his bling with him - good clue Carla). The weather was nice, a little wind - but I talked to him later in the afternoon and that excitement (?) in his voice was missing. He asked me a couple of times if I was coming out to watch. At that point, I wasn't really sure, I had an appointment earlier in the day and I hadn't gotten to do what I wanted/needed to do.
Jeff called after 5 and was running late, said he was going to call Craig and tell him he might be a little late -- but I was not leaving any opportunity for him not to ride - I had just finished walking and told him I was heading in to Arby's and I would let Craig know. When I pulled in I saw Craig's Jeep tucked away in a corner - hmmm he rode to work. There was somebody circling Arby's - wasn't sure who he was, but he looked like he could ride. As he got a little closer I saw One Call logo on his Jersey. Craig rolled in, Shane, Vince, Jeff and Bryan were there. Pleasant comments shared and they rolled out.

Through the weeks, Jeff has shared with me the points that he really struggles with (bet he doesn't do that any more!) The herd rode past me - no Goose. Craig yelled 'Don't Let Him Quit". Jeff passed and turned on a road (not on my list roads to follow) - so I followed him. He wasn't quitting, just taking one of the short cuts Craig has pointed out to catch back up.

Jeff jumped back on the group on Rudy. As they passed me, I only saw cows, no Bryan. I hung back until he passed to make sure everything was OK. At one point it looked like he was going to get back on with the group. After the cows crossed 571 I saw Bryan turn back to Tipp.

Craig hung back to talk Jeff back onto the group (but I think Vince and Shane slowed down a bit). After the turn on Studebaker, I knew the next road was 201 - the dreaded rollers. Once again Jeff shared that the 5th roller kills him and I knew there was a road he could turn on and go home. Not today. I found a nice place to park at the top of the 5th one - Craig, Vince and Shane all passed me, I waited on Jeff. He struggled up it and took a short cut to get back on with the group. That is OK he didn't quit and go home (dinner wouldn't have been ready anyway).

Craig had a mechanical problem on Walnut Grove and was pissed at Jeff for sitting up - he yelled at me "I got him back on and he SITS UP". Jeff would never leave Craig behind - but then again I am out there and all you have to do is tell me and I will go back to get someone.

I think Jeff had a good ride, no it wasn't the entire route, but he didn't quit. I am really proud of him for that. He had a good race on Sunday and I think his recovery time is a little more than it use to be.

Looking forward to the long weekend!!

2 comments:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Jeff did great and we are all proud. It's not about finishing, it's about suffering which makes everyone stronger. GO GOOSE!

Thanks for photo's and helping Jeff. He needs it!!

Noose and Goose said...

That's my job and I love it.