Saturday, April 4, 2009

True Meaning of Cyclist

OK I am skipping past the most EPIC day in GA history (yesterday) and fast forwarding to today which was a different kind of epic day.
The day was absolutely beautiful - Everyone was ready and eager to ride in a much deserved beautiful day. I won't go into all the specifics of the ride (at this time) but what was memorable for me.
Goose was really mentally struggling and his lower back was killing him. At a regroup point Egg asked him if he was going to quit - Hell No, I want Hog Pen and how bad do you want it! They headed out and Goose dropped off, Egg glanced back and pulled off the road and waited on Jeff. Jeff told him to go and and Egg wouldn't. He got back on for Hog Pen. I was at my pull off spot and counted and watched they guys go by. Goose had moved up to 3rd (which really surprised me). The others passed by except Egg. I told Tim I was heading back down down the mountain to look for Egg. Traffic was a little heavy and you always fear the worst. Got almost down to the bottom and there stood Egg with a smile on his face. He had flatted and his CO2 didn't work.
What to do? Hmm Rhino's Zips were in the back - borrow one and ride to the top :) He told me to go on to the top and tell everyone else to head on down. Goose said no way was he leaving Egg, one by one they said they weren't leaving him Rhino headed back down to ride back up with him (the joke at dinner tonight was he wanted to make sure he got his wheel back).
I guess these guys get that this year - no cyclist will be left behind. They all rode strong - especially as a group - competition at its best - friendship ruled above ego.
What a fun trip, I am sad to see it end. The cabin was great, I cooked a little but tonight I was treated to dinner (and a drink).
Thanks guys for a fun time.

3 comments:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Thanks Noose. AWESOME JOB!! Cooked a little? HAHAHA We at with 3 hands!! LOL

The Goose rode great and I was so happy to see him and Tim kick ass!!Viper was also impressive.

I got my wish of a no chain day on Brasstown and Hogpen. How saweeet it is!!

LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR!!

Thanks again!!

Noose and Goose said...

I don't think you had a chain the entire time you road. If anything you had a tow rope tied to a few riders!

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

I felt great!!

Every climb went to perfection and it was all the Winter trainer rides we did that's for sure. Thanks!!