Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Beautiful Monday

Wow what a beautiful day! Sun was shining, winds from the SW (yes I am paying more attention of the direction of the wind). Jeff called early in the morning to see if my legs were sore and was I up to another ride. My very quick answer was no my legs were not sore and NO I didn't want to ride. I felt like the wind had mentally destroyed me on Sunday. After looking at the forecast for the week, knowing I wanted to ride again this week outside, I called him back and said I wanted to ride.

Jeff had his wheels back and wanted to try them out and he also wanted to see how his knee felt since falling. He got home from work, switched out his wheels and we headed out on the same route we did on Sunday. Of course this route is 99.99% southwest. I know, how can that be? Well it felt like it. Heading out Peters face to the wind, I really did keep saying "eventually the wind will be my friend". We had climbed the tiny mole hill that felt like a big hill to me before I knew it. Jeff has lots of patience with me on the bike, and I am glad. I mumbled to myself and just kept going. Next thing we were at the farm and no cows in the field. (Sunday I really struggled at that point and the cows in the field thought"love is in the air" which made me lose total concentration) We finally hit Michaels Road which I just knew we would get a good push from the wind to make it home -- NOT.

Since I am not really into time or speed at this point, I was happy with Monday's ride - I felt my tempo was a little more consistent, mentally the wind did not kill me and I had a blast. I still have a few issues to work on - drinking was a lot easier but I still put my breaks on to turn corners (then I have to work harder to catch back up). That will correct itself as I become more comfortable on the road.

Jeff's limp is almost gone, he said the slow spin helped his knee and getting out of the saddle didn't hurt as much. Guess riding slow with me has some advantages.

For all that know that I have "bellied ached" over the years about eating after 8 on ride nights, will be happy to hear we didn't eat until 8:30. After riding and taking a shower, I really wasn't hungry. I think I finally understand.

It will be a workout at the Y for us on Tuesday. Weather doesn't look like riding will happen outside on Wed (but ya never know)

No comments: