Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thoughts


They came


They rode


They conquered






I guess that would be a quick summary of the trip to Helen. But I don't think it tells the entire story of the rides.


I had the privilege of watching a group of men conquer the mountains in their own time and way. I saw the smiles that passed by, sometimes quickly replaced with faces of determination and pain. I watched them cheer each other on as they reached their appointed sign. The handshakes and hugs that followed at each regrouping area. I also watched as some were able to rid themselves of burdens that have followed this past year. I watched a man tear up his past, another ride to his future beating cancer. I had breakfast and dinner with a group that have help make a difference in my life. My grandson made new friends that will hopefully influence his life. I was able to watch the man in my life accomplish something really important - mind over the road.

I had fun, AJ had fun, Jeff had fun and conquered - what more could a person ask for? Well maybe ---- God willing, we will be there next year.

4 comments:

Dobovedo said...

Amen

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Thanks so much Carla. You hit it on the head and it's something I will always cherish & remember!!

AMEN ( again )

Noose and Goose said...

It made me realize I really have no excuses and it doesn't matter how fast, it just matters to finish.

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

That's the spirit. That's why those who quit and went away just didn't get what it's all about.

Keep it up Noose!!