Sunday, May 31, 2009

What Doesn't Kill You - Makes You Stronger

Well sorta! With Graduation and Birthday parties this weekend, riding times had to be carefully planned. After emails back and forth with people Friday, a time was finally agreed upon - 11:15 ride from G & N. Looked like Big Tim, TKO, Egg and Goose leading out the chain gang. My plans were to head out in the opposite direction 30 minutes after they left. Well, my plans changed and I really listened to the Dr (for once) and decided to just sit outside and read the Sunday paper actually on Sunday. Day off for me.

I wasn't home yet when they left the house but I knew the time schedule TKO was on. Decided just to stay outside and wait for them to return. First thing out of Egg's mouth was "Goose was OK and at least the car didn't run over him". All they years that I have known everybody that Goose has ridden with, nobody had ever made a joke about somebody almost got hit. Obviously first reaction was, well he rode in the Egg, so his bike must be mechanically OK. I looked at Goose, at first no visible signs of going down or getting hit. Egg quickly pointed out it was his elbow. Next thought was shit I hope it isn't the one he had staph infection in a couple of years ago. Once I saw his elbow, and it wasn't much -----
Goose said his butt/hip took a hit - OK you are walking so you didn't break your hip (you start worrying about broken hips when you reach our age!). Goose informed me that his bling didn't get messed up. I was ready to hear the story.

Guess it happened about 2-3 miles from home on 25A. Just a freak accident involving a tree branch that became wedged in TKO fork and abruptly stopped him Things happened quick and Goose went down. I happy that he didn't take TKO with him!

Now the good news - Goose got up, checked things out and got back on his bike. Egg chose a route that would be challenging - getting Goose ready to race next Sunday. Egg said everyone rode really well - he gave lots of kudos to everyone - what does Goose say? - and not because he went down - "That really wasn't a good ride for me, I had higher expectations of myself". I sure Egg will have fun with that comment!

TKO had leave right away, Egg and Big Tim stayed for a few minutes to share some laughs and shift by shift data of the ride. Sounds like everyone rode well and had a good time.

Thanks for taking care of Goose today! AND bringing back home alive!!!!

Oh and BTW for those who ride/ridden with Goose - NO HE WAS NOT IN HIS AEROBARS WHEN THIS HAPPENED!

1 comment:

Grayquill said...

That whole thing about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. From picture it looks like there is a hole in arm. Sure that isn't stronger than an arm without hole. Just thought I would point out that little incongruity.

I love nick names